Saturday 3 October 2015

Details 1267 and 1268

The Problem of Identification

The detail for Competition 1267 was in one sense, easy to identify. It was very much a painting by Turner. However, the difficulty lay in finding the painting and its title. It took me a great deal of searching before I located it. Once again, as often with Jenny Gilbert's selections, it was from a Museum in the United States (The Morgan).

Original detail

Wreck on the Goodwin Sands


Details 1268

Details 1268 was another detail whose identification eluded me for a long time. As the "answer" has not yet been published, I remain in a little doubt. The problem that I encountered here was partly one of attribution. I felt confident that it was by Frans Hals or a follower of Frans Hals, but pinning down the detail to a specific painting was quite tough. The one I eventually decided was unfortunately only to be found in black and white. There were others in colour, but seemed to me to be from slightly different images. The variations in titles are also unhelpful. Most similar pictures are not by Hals himself. 


Original detail


There is a similar detail in a painting in the Louvre. Child with a Soap Bubble.
Tete d'enfant - Abbeville - musée Boucher de Perthes











Head of a Boy facing left with a Flute
   
We shall see.

Jenny Gilbert hedges her bet somewhat and does not state if the picture is by Hals, or a follower, just that versions are contested. However, the detail comes from the Abbeville - musée Boucher de Perthes painting.

No comments: