Saturday 29 December 2012

Christmas Details Competition from Times Gone By 1992 to 2000








Christmas Details 1992 to 2000

I am indebted to Jenny, a correspondent to this Blog who has sent images of these earlier Christmas Competitions to me. It is a strange experience for me to see these for the first time after so many years. For anyone who wishes to pit their wits against these, I have cropped them to remove any scribbled answers (as far as possible).

Christmas Details 1992 - The First Competition - "Christmas Quiz"



Christmas Details 1993 -  "Christmas Details" - Fine Art Sweets and Chocolates



Christmas Details 1994 - "Christmas Details" - No theme


I see here the Sickert portrait of Edward VIII which appeared in a later Christmas Conmpetition and which I was unable to find.

Christmas Details 1995 - "Christmas Details" - Theme - Red Patches




Christmas Details 1996 - "Christmas Details" - Theme - Diagonals




Christmas Details 1997 - "Christmas Details" - Theme - Flat Patches




Christmas Details 1998 - "Christmas Details" - Theme - Points of Light



Christmas Details 1999 - Theme - Advent Calendar



Christmas Details 2000 - Theme - Darkness Visible - Silhouettes



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember these so, so well! I even remember which ones my mum spotted and which ones I got! And that she put an arrow round the bottom on the 'box of chocolates' issue, because it wasn't aligned properly. Ah, happy days, when the quiz was so inventive.

Tom Jolliffe said...

Tom Lubbock was a great critic, arguably the best of our age. His insight and knowledge and feel for profound meaning of painting gave the choice of details its special character. These are indelible memories. You might enjoy the book "Great Works", which was spublished after Tom Lubbock's tragic early death from a brain tumour. He also wrote about his impending death with insight in an essay which can be found online.